Arkansas Shenanigans

9.23.2013

It’s once again Monday. Cue the whining in 3, 2, 1...
Steven and I returned last night from our fourth weekend road trip in a row. We are hella exhausted and spent the entire car ride yesterday swearing up and down that we will be staying in town next weekend (and maybe a few weekends after that). Of course, then we realized that we have tickets to the Ole Miss vs. Alabama game next weekend, so we will be taking a short day trip over to Tuscaloosa to tailgate our day away. I can’t really complain about that though. I miss college, especially spending game days on the quad in Tuscaloosa. We thought about getting a hotel in Tuscaloosa for Saturday night, but the idea of spending another weekend away from our house and comfy bed (and most importantly our dogs) was just too much. I suppose we can handle the forty-five minute drive back home Saturday night.
Any who, enough about next weekend. Let’s focus on this weekend’s shenanigans, shall we?

Friday afternoon Steven and I packed up the car and headed out on a five hour drive over to Arkansas to visit Steven’s extended family. I was excited for the trip, but I’ll admit that I was a little nervous as well. Before this weekend I had never met any of his Arkansas family. That includes his grandmother and grandfather (although thanks to a little tool called Facebook I did in a way feel like I already knew them). We had an amazing time and I felt like I had known his family for years.
We spent the day on Saturday at a festival in the small town where Steven is from. I always thought that I was from a small, southern town, but this weekend proved to me what real small town living is like. We had the best time with the family, and as you can tell by the fact that I am holding a baby in every picture taken, I was definitely in my element!
Saturday night we ventured over to Memphis for dinner at Rendezvous where I ate so many ribs that I thought I was going to explode. Steven and his family talk about Rendezvous all the time, and I have to say, now I know why. Holy goodness in my mouth.

And because I had never been to memphis before, we couldn't leave without walking down Beale Street. I had heard that Beale Street has gotten quite dangerous over the last few years, but I have to say, not one time did I ever feel even slightly endangered. I mean the purse search and wand frisk upon entering Beale Street could have had something to do with that.. But I'll gladly wait in line and be searched down if it means that I won't be getting shot at later in the night.

And four weekends and five states later, that about wraps up a long month of road trips. Exhausted doesn't even begin to describe how I'm feeling right now, but I wouldn't change it for anything. I'm so thankful to have had this weekend to spend time with Steven's family and get to know the small town where he was born. That being said, I think I'm going to go home this afternoon and take a long, much needed nap.
Sami's Shenanigans
post signature

4 comments:

  1. It looks like you had fun!
    Road trips are a lot of fun but definitely exhausting, especially if you go on one every weekend! haha

    mywaytofitandfab.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm from AR! What small town did you venture too?! I'm assuming since you were close to Memphis you were in Northeast AR but still fun. I'm from Central and live in NWA now but gotta love small town AR life! Glad you have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun!! Never knew that Memphis was a dangerous place. I have Oakland, CA near me so nothing tops that in my mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to click on the Arkansas title. Where is your guy from? Mine is from AR too, futher south. We met there in college and my parents live there, but I'm a Californian through and through :)

    ReplyDelete

- THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -